- Get into pairs – one person is the puppet and the other controls them as a puppeteer.
- The puppeteer asks for permission to place one hand on the back of their partner’s head and another on their hand to gently direct their movement.
- The puppeteer also speaks on behalf of the puppet. The puppet opens its mouth silently and moves as directed.
- Define a particular setting (such as a party, an office, on the bus) and ask the whole group to create a short, improvised scene in their pairs.
- Ask the pairs to swap and introduce another setting.
Questions: How did you feel being the puppet? And the puppeteer? Were there any particular issues that were raised?
Notes: This exercise has the potential to spark a very powerful discussion about power dynamics or agency within society.